Our fourth winter family meal on a budget is from the fantastic Sheridan from Sheridan Anne and it is one of my faves! Over to you Sheridan!
Thanks for having me for Money Mummy’s Winter Family Meals on a Budget series. I love to create hearty, nutritious meals that don’t break the bank, as I’m pretty sure many of us do!
Chicken Pot Pie
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 15-20 mins
Yields: 4 serves
1 brown onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced or chopped finely
2 tablespoons of cornflour (may need additional to thicken)
1/2 cup shredded cheese
400g of thickened cream
500g of chicken breast, diced
3 shortcut bacon pieces, diced
1 cup mushrooms, diced
1 cup peas and corn
1 carrot, diced
1 sheet of puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a casserole dish with spray oil or butter
2. Sauté onion and garlic on the stovetop
3. Coat onion and garlic in cornflour, and add cheese. Gradually add cream. Whisk continually to avoid lumps until thickened
4. Pour sauce into casserole dish
5. Return pan to heat and add oil. Add chicken to brown and fry bacon.
6. Add mushrooms, peas, corn and carrot and gently stir fry for two minutes. Add to the casserole dish and mix thoroughly
7. Top dish with puff pastry, brushed with egg
8. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown
I buy chicken breast from Aldi, because it is always great quality from my local store and it is only $8.99/kg when you bulk buy (roughly 1.5kg in a bulk package). I also buy the pastry from there, because it has a more attractive price tag and the same great taste.
This is a great pie for left overs – even though I have given you a list of ingredients, you can ultimately add any left overs from the fridge to the sauce base.
It is a great veggie smuggler too!
Serve with a side of steamed veggies or homemade chips if your family are big eaters (on its’ own, my boys chow this down with barely any left for me!)
To see more of our amazing winter family meals on a budget:
Click here to see our Roasted sausages and vegetables with Bel from Mums Take Five
Click here to see our Veggie Super Food Bowl with Hope from Nanny Shecando
Click here to see our Chicken Noodle Soup with Jodie from Fresh Home Cook
Click here to see our Pumpkin Soup with me!!!
If you liked this post you might also like: